Saturday, May 21, 2011

Since publishing the post on Growing Up In Boone, IA...

I have discovered that the old grade school that is being demolished is NOT Lincoln, but Lowell School. Also a school I attended when we moved from Marion Street to Tama Street when I was a fourth grader (if I am recalling the time correctly). Anyway, I don't have as many warm memories of Lowell, although it was a pretty good school, as it was when life started to fall apart.

Mom was sick more than well and not home due to multiple hospital stays. It's also the place we lived when she finally succombed to the wretched cancer that had taken it's slow and deadly toll over the years. So, although there are a handful of good memories from my days spent at Lowell, the sadness is a lingering cloud which seems to crowd out many of them.

At Lowell, I was in "Brownies" ... the pre-girl scouts. And I remember going to the school as one of our Brownie projects to rake the deadfall of the trees that had fallen in the school yard. I remember Mary Sue Johns and JoAnn Elliot (the neighbor girl up the street that I used to play 'Barbies' with), and Gail Allie, Sylvia Hanson, Donna Coghlan...and Donna Anderson. All grade school chums that made a lasting impression on my life for one reason or another.

Some of them I would continue to see in the hallways of BHS for a time...until I was plucked away and transplanted to another place, another school in another town. But I can still remember each one. You know kids...they are either famous or infamous for one trait or characteristic or another, or for some stunt pulled.
It makes me wonder if they ever remembered me at some point and time.

Chances are, not. But...regardless, seeing an old building that housed so many different characters and unique individuals, come to an end...makes me sad.

I can only hope that today's kids can enjoy their growing up and the good times of growing as much as we did (when the times actually were good). And I'll say adieu' to the old haunts that held vivid memories of life for me then. And pray for the kids today who, it seems, have so much stacked against them just starting out.

I'm glad Lincoln is still intact - and can only hope it's there for a few years yet to come.

Anyway, I thought I'd better clear up the error whilst thinking about it.
Have a good day, everyone!

No comments: